Shapleigh 1872

District 1 - Highland School on Hanson's Ridge Road - privately owned and converted to a home
District 2 - Emery's Mills School on Route 109 near Ted's Fried Clams - discontinued and new school built in 1923 closer to Mousam Lake and appropriately called Mousam Lake School and currently home to the Acton~Shapleigh Historical Society
District 3 - Pound School on the Mann Road
District 4 - Ross School on the Back Road
District 5 - Shapleigh Corner School - discontinued when the Lindsey High School was built in 1877.  Lindsey High School discontinued about 1942 - currently home the Shapleigh Town Hall since 1980
District 6 - Charles Winn School on County Road / Norton Ridge Road in the field
District 7 - Lincoln School on Ross Corner - built about 1909 by Irving Bradford and burned in the 1947 fire
District 8 - Granny Kent Pond School
District 9 - Methodist Church School on the Owls Nest Road
District 10 - Washington School on Main Street in North Shapleigh - privately owned and completely restored
 
The era of the one-room schoolhouses continues to dim as $35,000 building is opened at Shapleigh, was the heading of the February 14, 1950 Sanford Newspaper.  The last two of the former 6 one-room schoolhouses was closed as the new consolidated school was opened.  It took just over a year to transform a portion of the former Charles Staples Farm on a high hill overlooking the Mousam Lake region, into a dream come true for the townspeople. 
Comments