At the time the Town of Acton was incorporated in 1830 there were 13 school districts with a total of 625 scholars. This doesn't mean they all went to school, but a census was taken in April of each year because the Town was paid by the State according to this census. The amount paid was $3.00 per scholar, whether or not they attended school.
District 1 - Hilton's Ridge School, built 1856 and discontinued 1937
District 2 - Lincoln School at South Acton, built 1884 and discontinued 1957 - see Lincoln School Preservation Project
District 3 - Franklin School at Hubbard's Corner, discontinued 1919
District 4 - Joy School, built 1837 and discontinued 1906
District 5 - Hubbard's Ridge School, discontinued 1887
District 6 - Frog Pond School on Peck Road, built 1876 and discontinued 1893
District 7 - Foxes Ridge School, built 1883 and discontinued 1950
District 8 - Garvin Road School, discontinued 1887
District 9 - Acton Corner School, built 1886 and discontinued 1950 - now the Acton Library
District 10 - Hopper Road School, discontinued 1887
District 11 - Acton Ridge School, discontinued 1937
District 12 - Young's Ridge School, discontinued about 1930
District 13 - Great East School, discontinued 1887
District 14 - Riverside School, built 1876 and discontinued 1957*
* In 1876 District 6 was divided, creating District 14.
After much controversy over a period of several years, it was finally voted to build a consolidated elementary school. In 1957 the Lincoln Schoolhouse was the last of the above schoolhouses to close and the new school (Acton Elementary School) was ready and opened, with 80 elementary students. Dedication was October 6, 1957. In 1979 a new addition was opened with a total of 169 elementary students attending.
Schools Then & Now >